Simple Steps to Making the Perfect Bed
Hotel rooms, home décor blogs, magazines, what do all of these have in common? A luxurious looking bed! You imagine sinking into an unbelievably comfortable mattress, melt into the pillows, cozying up under the luscious sheets and enjoying the overwhelming feeling of bliss! Yes, even the mental pictures are worth a thousand words but the actual feeling is worth way more. Here are a few tips on how you can get that luxury look and feel – on a budget and in the comfort of your own home.
The Mattress Matters
A bed needs a mattress, but like a bed, purchasing a mattress is also an investment. Chances are you have already made the mattress investment but in some cases, it may not be an investment you can make at this time. Either way, you can purchase a new mattress, or you can find ways to improve your existing mattress so that you don’t need to buy a new one quite yet.
Here are some things you can consider if you want to improve your existing mattress:
- Purchase a mattress topper. This would be used to provide some extra support that your current mattress may not currently have to boost comfort and overall cover up some awkward lumps.
- Fix what’s sagging. There are a few ways this can be fixed. You can purchase plywood or MDF board to support underneath the mattress. This usually goes on the top of the base to prevent it from sagging between the laths/slats. Alternatively, you can simply turn the mattress over.
If the above does not work, and you are ready to, the next best thing is to purchase a new mattress. It’s important to consider the following when looking for a new mattress:
- Make sure your base is in good condition. It is important to ensure that the mattress you are looking to purchase has the right kind of support. This helps to preserve the integrity of the mattress materials and also prevents early wear.
- Shop around. When shopping around, please be sure to know the measurements of your bed base. Imported mattresses tend to vary in size slightly to bedframe sizes.
- Ask questions. You want to know the most about your mattress such as whether it is a spring or foam mattress or even if the pillowtop is made of feathers. The number of mattresses available are never ending so make sure to get all your questions our there as this is truly an investment.
- Test it out. In some cases, you may be allowed to sit/lay on the mattress to make sure it feels comfy and provides you with the correct support you require.
Sheets can certainly make for a different sleeping experience. Sheets are manufactured from many different materials and the material you choose should be based on your personal preference. There are a few indicators of high quality sheets which can enhance your sleeping experience.
- Check the fabric! Here in the Caribbean, we mostly use cotton or polycotton. This makes for a cooler more breathable material.
- What is the thread count? The lower the thread count, the more fragile and durable your sheets will be. In some cases, they may not last one wash! The higher the thread count, the stiffer your sheets will be. Therefore it is best to pick a thread count that fits in-between.
- Keep in mind, you may want your bedroom to have a luxurious theme, so keep to colours that are solid, soft and light where possible. These colour selections can contribute to a very relaxing/zen-like space. This ensures your bedroom space would be perfect for winding down after a long day.
Practical Pillows VS Accent Pillows
Your pillow preference is yours. But here is what we recommend regarding creating that luxurious, relaxing, and of course, comfortable, melt into your bed, pillow effect. It is also good to keep in mind that the more pillows you put, the more luxurious your bed may look, however this allows means you will have more pillows to remove before going to bed. Check out the below for our pillow recommendations, and here is a hint, we recommend both practical and accent pillows!
- Choose the correct sized pillow for your bed size. The size of your pillows should vary based on the size of the bed. Make sure when selecting the pillow that you not only confirm just how soft or firm you would like it to be, but also that it is the correct size for the bed it is being used for.
- The layout and how you layer the pillows on your bed is also determined by the size. Keep in mind, when your decorative and “sleeping” pillows are in the show position (upright), they should not take up more than a quarter of the entire bed length. Check out the below for some ideas!
- Accent pillows are simply decorative pillows that range in size and shape. These are completely your choice. They are normally laid last and are normally meant for display purposes only.
You can look up pillow arrangements online for different options that suit your style. We have placed a few below for you to take a quick look.
Cover it up – Blankets/Duvets/Quilts
One thing that stands out just as much as your accent pillows is your comforter/blanket/duevt. If you can’t afford new luxury bedding, don’t worry. Focus on your throw blanket instead. A big chunky knit throw placed across the foot of your bed will take the focus off of everything else. Remember, several thin blankets are easier to wash than one bulky comforter.
Luxury means something different to everyone and that’s ok. We are just here to help with a few ideas. Check out our simple tips on how we make our perfect beds in the showroom!
How to make the bed
- Place your fitted and flat sheet onto the bed.Make sure to pull the flat sheet up to the very top of the mattress. Tuck the bottom of the flat sheet under your mattress and mooth away any creases.
- Place the blanket up to the very top of the mattress.
- Fold back the top sheet and the blanket to reveal both of the layers. Make sure to pull them back past where your pillows will go.
- Put the tallest/sleeping pillows in the back moving forward in order of height. Ensure that the open side of the pillowcases are facing the nearest side/edge of the bed.
- Add another throw blanket, thin quilt or extra blanket to foot of the bed for that little something extra!